A Leader on Public Safety
The Bernalillo County jail must be able to hold individuals who are a threat to our safety, but it must not be the only option for people who suffer from mental health problems and addiction. I have been a leader in the County’s efforts to provide better and more accessible behavioral health services.
- Sponsored $1.1 million for 75 supportive housing units for residents suffering from mental health issues or addiction.
- Supported 1/8-cent gross receipts tax for behavioral health services.
- Worked with Attorney General to make bath salts an illegal drug.
- Spearheading effort to streamline and coordinate regional behavioral health spending.
- Secured $500,000 in funding for lighting and pedestrian/bicycle safety in District 3.
- Sponsored revisions to Bernalillo County Animal Care Ordinance to better protect our animals and our residents.
A Leader on the Environment
I will continue to work with our federal delegation, the New Mexico Environment Department, and neighborhood organizations to ensure that remediation of the Kirtland Air Force Base jet fuel spill continues and that our drinking water is protected. I am also working with the community to identify and preserve open spaces.
- Led the Water Utility Authority’s actions to make sure the U.S. Air Force took aggressive action to address the jet fuel spill.
- Sponsored ordinance to reduce contamination of groundwater from septic systems.
- Created partnership between Bernalillo County and the University of New Mexico to preserve UNM North Course as the first Urban Open Space in Bernalillo County System
- Funded UNM/CNM transit study to promote high-capacity transit serving University Blvd. corridor from Sunport to Menaul.